Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Cat Who Won’t Live to Be Two

. . . otherwise known as Troilus. For those of you who knew him during the first year of his life you will understand me when I say he has reverted to his naughty kitty days. I swear I didn’t sleep at all during the first six months of his life. It was a lot like having a new baby, at least from what I remember of year one with Alyssa, Jenna and Riley.
Well, Mr. Man has decided that I am not entitled to sleep after uprooting him and disrupting his life. He has been keeping me up all night every night since I moved to Sacramento. Some nights are worse than other nights. To put it mildly, he is not adjusting well. I feel bad for him until about 3 a.m., and then I am done. I have tried shutting him out of the bedroom, but then he just cries to get in and Cassandra cries to get out. If I shut them both out I hear him terrorizing her up and down the hall all night and I can’t sleep anyway.
The other night was particularly bad. He was running around the room, knocking things over, pouncing on Cassandra, playing with the blinds. Finally, he began to calm down. I had just fallen asleep when he pounced on my face. THAT WAS IT! I leapt out of bed and chased him around the apartment with the squirt bottle. I must have looked like a crazy person running around in my rumpled P.J.s, my hair flying everywhere, screaming at my cat and wielding a loaded spray bottle. Of course I never caught him, but the good news is that we were both so worn out that I was able to sleep for the remaining three hours until I had to get up for work.
Seriously, I don’t know what to do about this cat. He will be one sorry little kitty when I lose my job due to falling asleep at my desk and the tuna and treats dry up.
Any suggestions? Does anyone else have a crazy pet who keeps them up all night?

3 comments:

  1. The spray bottle works well for Darrell and me. But, it sounds like Troy is immune.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It works in the moment. Well, he runs from it anyway. But, it doesn't stop him from repeating the behavior that caused him to be squirted. Naughty kitty!

    ReplyDelete