Saturday, April 30, 2011

Why Technology Hates Me

I actually don’t know why technology hates me, I just know that it’s true. It is my personal belief that if computers really did take over the world, like in Terminator, I would be the first to go. Especially since they can’t ever seem to catch that wily John Connor.

Some of you might have noticed that I didn’t post at all last week. I like to fool myself into believing that someone out there looks forward to reading my blog and that you would notice if I skipped a week. Sigh. Perhaps not.

Anyway. My lack of posting is directly related to my ongoing conflict with electronics. It seems like all the electronic devices in my life mounted a coordinated and systematic attack following my move. It is as if they could somehow sense that this was the precise moment when I was most vulnerable. I have just moved to a new city, I don’t know a lot of people, I have no family close by, and I am financially strained after the move. Therefore, I cannot really defend myself.

Let me give you the rundown. Since my move the TV went wonky, the VCR/DVD stopped playing movies effectively, one of my stereo speakers stopped working, my IPod broke, and my ongoing cell phone problems became worse. And this is just a list of the malfunctioning electronics that I brought with me. They quickly enlisted the support of my household appliances and within a few weeks of moving into my new apartment the refrigerator broke and the heat stopped working (believe it or not this actually an issue in Sacramento in February, especially at night.). All of the above items, with the exception of the IPod, were eventually fixed, but it was still a lot to deal with on top of a big move and a new job, especially with the aforementioned lack of support system. Therefore, I almost had a complete breakdown when my computer joined the enemy camp last weekend. It has been having trouble since the move, but last weekend it completely died. I had to pay to have it fixed, (with the money I don’t have, of course), but I guess I can be grateful that they were at least able to fix it. So far so good, anyway. So what if it takes me until 2020 to pay off my credit card debt? I just hope all of this shit is worth it in the end.    

Have any of the rest of you ever felt like you were on the hit list of an electronic army?

4 comments:

  1. Technology is so stupid. Trust me: as someone who's completely surrounded it, I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up! "I almost had a complete breakdown when my computer joined the enemy camp." Love it!!! Yes, the world functioned just fine & efficiently, mind you, before ass-holes like Bill Gates & his billions came into being. Now students & kids of all ages are fat, lazy, & disrespectful due to technology.Humans unite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Aunt Debra is trying to give me a heart attack! She thinks I have a ghost and that is why my electronics are going all wonky. I might have to move!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not a ghost, it's Murphy's Law. :)

    ReplyDelete