Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Lent, St. Patty’s Day, Mardi Gras Connection

Since we are fast approaching Easter (when did it become April?), I started thinking about a conversation that I had with my boss a few weeks ago. My boss, who is an Italian Catholic boy, proposed an interesting theory. The timing of St. Patrick’s Day is part of the reason the Irish are so confused. The reason: St. Patrick’s Day falls right in the middle of Lent, and Catholicism is the dominant religion in Ireland and among Irish immigrants.

Being from Utah, and not being Catholic, I have never given much thought to Lent (for you other native Utahans out there, Lent is the period between Ash Wednesday and Easter). I have noticed it once or twice listed on a calendar, but that is about the extent of it. The first time I actually gave it any thought was on March 9th of this year. My boss came into the office and asked each of us, just in friendly conversation, what we are giving up for Lent. My answer: “I lived in Cedar City for three years. I have sacrificed enough!”  My co-worker had a great answer. He is giving up “hope” for Lent (this was meant to be facetious). No one else offered any comments.

My boss, in keeping with his good, Catholic boy training, is giving up liquor for Lent. Coincidentally I had just seen him at Burgers and Brew the night before having a beer and burger. When I brought this up, he said that was his last beer until after Lent, and boy did he enjoy it. His philosophy is that giving up liquor during Lent will allow him to “live-it-up” during Mardi Gras without feeling any guilt. Nice. Perhaps many Catholics share this logic.

On St. Patrick’s Day I asked him what he was going to do. How can you not have a beer on St. Patty’s Day? It is a matter of principle. He said, “I know! St. Patrick’s Day is part of the reason that the Irish are so confused.” He is married to an Irish lass, so I guess he is entitled to make this comment. I really wouldn’t know.

Do any of you have any insights about the Lent, St. Patrick’s Day, Mardi Gras connection? Have any of you given up something for Lent?

1 comment:

  1. My friend Brad set the record straight on this one. He didn’t post his comments here because he didn’t want to sign up for a Google account. No problem. I will post for him.

    "The Lenten restrictions for food and alcohol are lifted on St. Patrick's Day. I had a whole thing cleverly written up, but you have to have a Google account, and I'm not into creating a whole profile just to comment. A Catholic would have been OK with the Church if he had a drink that day. And your boss, if he were a good Catholic should not be drinking alcohol during Lent period, except on St. Patrick's Day.

    He needed to give something else up too. Perhaps he gave up going to Sunday school as a child. ;>"

    ReplyDelete